4. He doesn't have a college degree. A lack of formal education does not necessarily mean he lacks ambition, smarts or chances for career success. Think real estate broker. Plumber. Ultrasound technologist. Lobster fisherman. All of these jobs require hard work, a good brain and can net big bucks, yet none of them requires higher education. If he spends his days on the couch, wearing nothing but his tightie-whities and expects you to foot all the bills, however, we'll forgive you for dropping that dead weight.
5. He's divorced. OK. Stop hyperventilating. While a previous marriage can leave one with serious emotional baggage, a divorce does not mean there's something wrong with the person who went through it. In fact, the experience may have left him with a better perspective on what he wants (or doesn't want) in a partner, and what works when it comes to negotiating the rough spots. Over time, he may open up about the specifics of his divorce. In the meantime, concentrate on who he is as a person, not who he is as a divorced person.
More from YourTango: 8 Frightening Texts From Online Dates
6. He has kids. Seriously, ladies. Stop. Hyperventilating. And then, once you've calmed down a bit, observe. The way a man acts with (or talks about) his children can be a great indicator of how well he'll end up treating you, or even what type of father he'll be to your kids.
7. He comes from a wildly different background. Are you nervous about what people will say if you date someone outside of your race? Afraid your parents will go berserk if you end up with someone of a different faith? If you're confident enough to shrug off their judgments you may find such relationships extra-rewarding; working through your differences will result in greater understanding of each other and another culture.
More from YourTango: 5 Surprising Privacy Precautions Every Online Dater Must Take
8. You're a Democrat; he's a Republican. So long as neither one of you is an extremist, you should be capable of keeping things civil. If nothing else, your differences will make for some rousing political debates and, if you're extra open-minded, it could be fun having a window into the innermost thoughts of someone whose political values are so different from your own. They Overcame Their Political Differences