4. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers – "Don’t Come Around Here No More"
In Tom Petty’s classic, which ranges from hypnotic to chaotic, the singer-songwriter is as bold and straightforward as you wish you could be when breaking things off. Valentine's At Wendy's & Other Quirky Customs
5. Katy Perry – "Hot N' Cold"
If only playing relationship games was as bouncy and fun as pop songs about it are.
6. The Doors – "People are Strange"
A droning sing-along for those times in your life when you're completely confident everyone else is messed up.
7. Tegan and Sara – "Call it Off"
Canada's twin dykons prove to be enchantingly gloomy on this perfect-for-rainy-day-pondering song.
8. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – "Cheated Hearts"
Karen O is at her crass, abstract best in this intense lyrical collage of a relationship falling apart.
9. The Dead Weather – "Hang You From The Heavens"
Jack White handles the drums while anti-chanteuse Alison Mosshart howls this sadistic tale as a threat to a lover (insert Southern accent) who done her wrong.