Bourbon-Pecan Christmas Bread Pudding
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
5 cups stale challah, cut or torn into 1-inch cubes
2 cups whole milk
3 Tbsp bourbon
Zest of ½ lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup vanilla sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
½ tsp salt
¾ cup pecans, toasted, cooled and coarsely chopped
For bourbon whipped cream:
1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
1½ Tbsp high quality bourbon
3 Tbsp confectioners' sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
Partner 1: Toss bread cubes in melted butter and place in 8-inch baking dish.
Meanwhile, Partner 2:
1. Whisk together remaining ingredients and pour over bread, making sure it is evenly coated.
2. Refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
After it's refrigerated, Partner 1 or 2:
1. Bake at 350° F until custard is set, about 30 minutes.
2. While pudding is baking, whisk together whipping cream, bourbon and vanilla mixture until it begins to thicken. Whisk in confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form. Set aside.
3. Serve warm with whipped cream at the table
Photo: Rebekah Peppler
Next: Herb-Roasted Cornish Game Hens