Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson are two of the biggest stars of their generations. Each icons in their own way, Farrah and Michael inspired legions of crushes. But what made them engender so much devotion? Below, what we can learn from them.
1. You don't have to be the best at something for people to love you. Farrah Fawcett struggled to get recognition as a serious actress, but people loved her anyway. Sure, she was blessed with natural good looks, not something all of us can rely on, but she wanted to be taken seriously as an actress, and eventually she was.
More from YourTango: Power Women: 4 Must-Know Dating Secrets Of Successful Ladies
2. If you're really good at or passionate about something, people will look past your eccentricities. Michael Jackson was, to put it kindly, quirky, not to mention controversial. But fans didn't care. When tickets for his comeback concert series went on sale, all 50 sold out within minutes. If you excel at something, people will look past your faults. Michael Jackson: The First Man I Ever Loved
3. A smile will get you everywhere. A recent study showed that people who smiled a lot in their younger years were less likely to get divorced. Farrah was the ultimate smiler. Follow Angel Kate Jackson said she would always remember Farrah's smile. "Today when you think of Farrah remember her smiling because that is exactly how she wanted to be remembered, smiling."
4. Family provides great strength. Michael's career launched as part of The Jackson 5. Without them, who knows if he would have reached the level of stardom he did. Michael Jackson's Greatest Love Songs
More from YourTango: Win The Classic Timbuk2 Messenger Bag!
5. One-pieces bathing suits are underrated. Long before Pamela Anderson in Baywatch, there was Farrah. Her red bathing suit (and what it, ahem, covered up) and her sweet, healthy face were first published in Life magazine in 1976. The poster went on to sell over 12 million copies, making it the best-selling pin-up ever.
Michael and Farrah, you will be missed.