As you may know the big bosses in Hollyweird always anoint some film "THE VALENTINE'S DAY MOVIE." There's a captive audience of single women who need something to do that day and couples who can use a nice little rom-com. Last year it was Definitely, Maybe and it was surprisingly good. This year the crown belongs to Confessions Of A Shopaholic (with all due respect to the decidedly non-rom-coms Friday The 13th and The International). It could be good, but this guy is skeptical.
First of all, I was surprised that He's Just Not That Into You didn't get the nod but I suppose Isla Fisher's performance in Definitely, Maybe made her a V-Day go-to. Even on the off chance that Isla Fisher can come through again with a movie that men don't hate, I think a bit of barter may be in order to get any guy to see this one.
5) Clearly, you're a movie-going couple. After seeing Confessions Of A Shopaholic, you should maybe suggest another film. Paul Blart: Mall Cop is still in theaters. Yeah, he might not want to see that either. Liam Neeson's Taken looks just violent enough to off-set the pablum of Shopaholic. Maybe Push is more your speed; you can pretend to be into he action while you're checking out Chris Evans. I once traded a night at the opera for the gorefest Pathfinder. So, I kind of lost twice.
4) After seeing Confessions Of A Shopaholic, a restful night may be in order. A date night or two that include fatty foods and good beer (his definition of good beer, in this case) may get you back to even-steven (especially if you don't have to leave home).
3) Sports are to men what rom-coms are to women. That is, some dudes really enjoy the movie genre and some ladies dig los deportes but by-and-large there are built-in gender preferences. Trade a night of Isla Fisher for an afternoon of Derek Jeter. Is it fair that college and pro sports last a minimum of 3 hours and end up being far pricier than rom-coms? No, I suppose it's not.
2) It rhymes with shmoral shmex. Unreciprocated shmoral shmex. And lots of it. This movie lasts an hour and fifty-two minutes. Be a buddy, be a pal. It's possible to accidently become gay in that time, sorry that's science.*
1) Nothing. Isn't it a little on the petty side to get so worked up about a 2-hour movie? Just talking about how much she "owes you for this" ought to cover any pain and suffering. Isn't keeping score a little JV? Shouldn't you just do nice things and rest easy that all good deeds are rewarded tenfold? Not buying it are you? OK, uh, $240 worth of pudding should square the deal.