Sex And Porn Cause Debt Problems In UK

By

Sex addiction is now the 3rd largest cause of money issues in Britain.


A survey of people calling into a debt-relief hotline in the UK revealed that sex and porn were major cash problems. In the first 9 months of 2007, a fourth of callers listed brothels, strip clubs, and porno as contributing to money issues. Sex/ porn now ranks third behind alcohol/ drugs and shopping addiction as a source of money concerns. We’re guessing that gambling probably got pushed into fourth. Which is kind of amazing because gambling is all about money. Maybe gambling isn’t such a money problem because there’s a 40% chance of actually winning.

 

The Insolvency Helpline goes on to say that 75% of the callers are single men and the remaining 25% are a mixed bag of married people and single women. And some of the money issues are a result of sexual harassment lawsuits.

This reminds us of a 30 Rock episode in which an agent sought to get a deal done quickly because he had a ‘really bad sex addiction.’ So pop culture is hip to these sexy addictions. Sure, spending too much money at a brothel or strip club is a problem that any dude can run into. But what kind of idiot can’t find free or unbelievably cheap porn online?

And there’s some discussion if there is even such thing as a sex addiction (see that Dish). But mental health professionals in the UK also think male sex addiction is on the rise there (check out that Dish). So, who knows? We just assume that being girl-crazy or boy-crazy will eventually go away.

Read more of what The Age has to say about porn debt…