Last week, a friend of mine (SW) was speaking to a counselor. They were talking about defensiveness because this is one of the issues troubling SW’s marriage. The counselor told her that people only get defensive when they find some truth in what is being said to them. If the person believes what is said to be completely untrue, they will not react with defensive behavior. For instance, if someone called you a tree, you guffaw and move on, not wasting breath trying to talk the other person out of believing you are a tree, because you know with unassailable certainty that you are not a tree.
- Is This Favorite Pastime Ruining Your Relationship?
- The #1 Way For Lesbians To Get Their Groove Back Online
- Let’s Be Real, Is It Impossible To Be Monogamous?
Stories we love
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Like it rough? The older a man, the more likely he is to like rough sex. The opposite is true for women.
- My Secret To Lasting Love: 'Radical Acceptance'!
- 20 Awesome Things You Didn't Know About Disney's 'Frozen'!
- Looking For The Right One? 7 Reasons To Date A Lefty