From The New York Times By Sam Roberts Don’t stock up on silver anniversary cards. More than half the Americans who might have celebrated their 25th wedding anniversaries since 2000 were divorced, separated or widowed before reaching that milestone, according to the latest census survey, released yesterday. For the first time at least since World War II, women and men who married in the late 1970s had a less than even chance of still being married 25 years later. “We know that somewhere between 40 percent and 50 percent of marriages dissolve,” said Barbara Risman, executive officer of the Council on Contemporary Families, a research group. “Now, when people marry, everyone wonders, is this one of those marriages that will be around for awhile.” Tango’s Take Check out a Dish from September 20th on a similarly depressing failed marriage item. Some mornings you just know that your day is going to be bad. You think “come on Dish, time to get up. There’s some bad news about pregnancy that you have to let your readers know about. Wake-y wake-y. Maybe the last handful of PBRs last night were a bad idea but you still have to let people know that there’s a decent chance that their relationship is going to fail.” Twenty--five years is a long time to do anything, on one hand. On the other hand, you’re probably going to be alive that long any way. It’s easier (not easy, mind you) just to spend it with the same person. And make them as miserable (or happy) as you are. Check out our feature on Project Everlasting. These two guys traveled the country in a recreational vehicle and interviewed couples that had been married a really long time. Maybe they’ve found a formula. Read More Of The Original Article…
- Is This Favorite Pastime Ruining Your Relationship?
- Headed Toward Splitsville? This Is The Key To An Easier Divorce!
- Single & Ready To Mingle? How To Tell Your Kids You're Moving On
Stories we love
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Trying to get pregnant? Try skipping lube, which can inhibit the movement of sperm (though lube is not to be used as birth control).
- My Secret To Lasting Love: 'Radical Acceptance'!
- 20 Awesome Things You Didn't Know About Disney's 'Frozen'!
- Looking For The Right One? 7 Reasons To Date A Lefty